Sunday 26 April 2015

Calligraphy

Typography work of designers and artists really intrigued me, however as I was researching different typography designs I came across calligraphy work and different calligraphy writing, which made me further research more upon calligraphy and how it is done. I found that calligraphy is elegant and fancy. It gives it this feel, because of the elegant lines and strokes, which have been created using a calligraphy pen. As it looks very delicate it gives the illusion that is very simple.

Calligraphy is a visual art related to writing. It is the design and execution of lettering with a broad tip instrument, dip pen, or brush, among other writing instruments.

Arabic Calligraphy is really interesting and i have been looking at arabic calligraphy that has been produced already. Mastering such skill is difficult as it comes with years of practice. Most of this calligraphy is written in the Holy Quraan, as it is witten in arabic calligraphy. Arabic calligraphy interests me however it can be quite time consuming, but the final outcome is amazing and looks really effective on designs. Arabic calligraphy can be designed in many shapes, foe e.g. animals, shape of a heart. Here are examples of arabic calligraphy: 
















I looked at some calligraphy artists and came across an artist called:

John Stevens

John Stevens is an internationally acclaimed calligrapher & illustrator, raising letterforms to the realm of imagery. Observing the excellence of the 2000 year history of Western Calligraphy, he embraces both tradition/craft, as well as expressive and experimental. Whether using a brush, quill, handmade paper, vellum or drawing a letter form in vector, he feels there are craft and high standards to be maintained and constantly sharpened or improved.




Calligraphy Experiment

After looking at calligraphy I had the inspiration to have ago of it myself. I tried Arabic, as well as simple calligraphy, in order to have the feel of what outcome is. Here is my calligraphy work:


I used an ink pen and pencil in order to create these calligraphy words. I used free hand drawing as this as the best idea and more flow into the calligraphy in my sketchbook. However, it is not a calligraphy pen that I was using as I think that would have a better flow of the calligraphy writing and see how it feels.

I got hold of a wooden calligraphy pen the next day, with some ink, which I could experiment on a piece of paper. As I was a beginner of calligraphy writing, I thought I would just write my name in arabic with the calligraphic pen, as a novice it would be harder for me to design arabic lettering in different shapes. 





Here is my experimentation of my name in arabic with calligraphy pen writing. My favourite is the arabic writing in the middle of the page as the stroke of the lines and the design of the calligraphy looks effective.